Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Salvation Celebration

Like most of the seemingly general populace of California Baptist, I grew up in a Christian home. My family was involved with and went to church on a regular basis. I remember my father reading to my sister and I late at night from the “Beginner’s Bible” and then we would have family prayer time. I was raised on a healthy dosage of Christian media and resources also. “Psalty the Singing Song Book,” “The Donut Man,” or Steven Curtis Chapman were practically members of the family. (If you don’t know what these are feel free to look them up.) In fact it was through a Psalty video that I really began to understand what it meant to be “saved” and asked Jesus into my heart.

I don’t remember much because I was only about six, but one day I was watching "Psalty's Salvation Celebration" on VHS and heard that I had something called "sin" in my life. I knew already that I did bad things...that was nothing new. (After all, why else would my dad spank me.) The video explained that I needed Jesus to come into my heart and save me. The video then asked me to then close my eyes and I prayed along with the video and ask Jesus to come into my heart. Immediately following the prayer, I went into the kitchen where my mom was and informed her of the glorious event that has transpired. She asked me a few questions to make sure I truly understood. I did. That was the day I believe I was saved.

However, I think that there comes a point in every young Christian’s life when following Jesus hits home and becomes a real conscious choice. For me, that day was 9/11/01. “The day that will live in infamy.” When the planes hit the Twin Towers, I came to the very rapid and harsh reality that is death. I found that my own faith had been shaken along with the foundations of our nations. I began questioning my own faith and what would happen to me if I had died that day. That night, I affirmed and rededicated my life to Christ. I was about 12.

Unfortunately, like all sinners, I had a brief time in my life where I ignored the Lord and his gentle pleading tug on my heart. I fell for the romance of men instead of an everlasting love and was betrayed by men and my own heart. During a philosophy course on religion, I began questioning the very existence of this God I claimed to serve. I eventually bottomed out. I felt so far removed from the Lord that I wondered if I would ever truly find my way back.

By his grace, I did and am.

In August, I found a chance for a fresh start. A new life away from secular philosophy professors and ex-boyfriends. During a retreat, I felt sharp stab at my heart as my Savior broke me down and reclaimed me as his own. It was the fall of 2009. The start of my junior year. My entrance into California Baptist University.

4 comments:

Yileyi said...

You mean Fall of 2008?

I didn't know you were saved through Psalty. That's awesome.
And you know the Donut Man!
"Life without God's love, is like a donut, like a donut, like a donut.... Life without God's love, is like a do-NUT! There's a hole in the middle of your heart!"

Anyways, awesome story girlie. The fact that a video led you to Christ is testimony that the silly output of Christian videos is worthwhile, praise God! :-)

Andrew Hochradel said...

That's awesome! I was saved by Psalty too! Well I didn't really know what what happening, but at least we share that. I grew up on the donut man and all those christian little kid shows. We have more in common than I thought!

Phylicia Mercedes said...

Your testimony is awesome! Psalty had a big impact on my life as well (only, I just listned to audio tapes, I never saw the videos).

I think that the re-dedication that you had here at CBU is awesome too! New Student Orientation Retreat is like that - it makes you think. Prase God that you had that opprotunity and experience.

Wayne Zeitner said...

Wow Kristin: I just happened upon your blog today—three years after you wrote it!

I wrote and directed "Psalty's Salvation Celebration" back in 1991, and am THRILLED to hear your story.

Coincidentally, I have a daughter named Kristen who was also saved (at age 8) thru Psalty's ministry about a year after the video released. She went forward during our videotaping of Psalty's Songs For Li'l Praisers at the historic Majestic Theatre in downtown Dallas.

God bless you, and thanks for mentioning Psalty's role in your youthful coming-to-faith!